Thursday, September 02, 2010

Be Prepared

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." — Seneca

Got all my hurricane prep done here yesterday ... keep in mind that we're pretty far inland and don't expect to be significantly impacted by anything buy high winds and heavy rain (if that). But, as we've learned in the past from all the lengthy power outages we've had the past couple of years: better safe than sorry. My mom used to have a plaque that said:

Be prepared! It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

I do worry for my Maine friends... the projected trajectory of Earl looks to hit them far harder than it will us. I know a couple of you are up in Maine ... keep in touch, okay?

Doing the errands did put us behind a bit, and then having agility last night meant DD didn't get her homework done. We were up until almost ten and she still had math. BUT... one of the bennies of homeschooling is she can finish this morning. I just warned her I'd wake her up a little earlier than usual.

I also got a little bit of writing done -- a VERY little bit, but it was something. And, despite being ridiculously far behind on pretty much everything, I still plan on setting the timer and writing for at least twenty mins today.

My dog is still itchy. I *thought* was giving her Benedryl, until yesterday I found the pills on the floor in various places in the house. So, I don't know whether it's helping or not. I'd decided last night to take her to the vet, because we have a long weekend coming and if she gets worse, it's a longer wait, but now, since I found out she wasn't taking the meds, I'm on the fence again. I gave her a dose last night with rolled up ham and saw it go down her gullet.

What to do? *sigh*

Today, any hurricane prep will be from here. I'm going to harvest everything I can from the garden as high winds and heavy rain is probably going to destroy plants. My squash, in a moment of irony (since I protected them against the borers successfully) have gotten a fine white coating (mold?) all over their leaves and are dying. Now, I gotta figure out how to treat THAT problem. My tomato plants are nearly by and the cucumbers are getting bottom heavy which means they're starting to try to make a lot of seeds (indicating that the plants think the growing season is pretty well over, too.

I need to cut down more perennials that are done blooming and prune some bushes. Today or wait until the weekend, which should be pleasant, cooler and sunny.

So, that's MY exciting life. Anyone doing something better? Share and let me live vicariously.

========================




Accomplishment is in Your Big Picture



You're not sure how long it will take to get where you're going... but you'll feel amazing once you've arrived.

You've got an uphill journey ahead of you, and you can't even really see what's around the corner.

And while you have your destination in the back of your mind, you are going to enjoy every turn of this road your on.

You're gaining strength, skills, and insight as you travel. And you won't be the same person at the end of the trip.



Mostly right!

======================

8 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

I don't think we'll get much in the way of rain or wind here. I really want rain. This heat is really annoying me. Hope you don't lose power.

I have a friend in Nova Scotia and it looks like they'll get hit head on too.

Good luck!

Got some writing done this morning-a whole 2 paragraphs on the sequel that my editor at TWRP asked for. I need to do some plotting I think.

Marianne Arkins said...

Ceri, I think you're too far inland...

And, I guess since Maine and Nova Scotia sort of stick out, they're going to get hit pretty bad if Earl tracks they way they think. It's scary for them. :-(

Maria Zannini said...

I meant to ask you how Dakota was doing. I'd see how she does today after the Benadryl before taking her in.

--one caution with Benadryl. Don't overuse it because she'll eventually get used to it and it'll stop being effective.

Ref: Anyone doing something better?
Well, I'm a finalist in a 'little' contest. :wink:

Dru said...

Now they are saying we'll only get rain but I had plans to go out to Long Island where the storm is predicted to hit badly.

Peace is in Your Big Picture

It's likely you've finally arrived on some long sought peace in your life. It's about time.

You are at the end of a chaotic time, and you can feel the your world quieting down around you.

Take advantage of this lull, and allow yourself to let go. Enjoy the calm.

Soon enough, life will be busy and crazy. Savor the rest that has been given to you.


I like it.

Have a good Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Love the Seneca quote! Marianne, be safe! Hope the hurricane turns out to be a whole lot of nothing.

Melissa McClone said...

Hugs on all the extra stuff this is forcing you to do.

Brandy said...

Our coastline is expected to be hit hard, too. Since we're so far inland we probably will only receive a bit of rain.
Hope you stay safe and that the benedryl benefits Dakota!

Have a pleasant day!

Tori Lennox said...

Stupid old Earl. He needs to go away.