Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Tightwad Tuesday: Keep the Change

The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket. ~Frank Hubbard

When I was in high school, the boys used to play a game where they'd throw pennies at the wall. I never did know the reason behind it, or how you won -- but I DID know that they, more often than not, left the pennies behind. For grins, my lockermate and I started collecting them and putting them in a jar in our locker.

We made out like bandits.

Okay, maybe not bandits, but we had enough for a decent meal at Wendy's by the end of the year.

Fact is, folks, small change adds up. I saved enough to buy my first pony using change that my dad gave me. He'd toss the coins in his pocket into a dish every night. Each time I'd visit, he'd say, "Leave me $10 in quarters and $5 in dimes and you take the rest." And I'd painstakingly count out his quarters and dimes, and then keep the rest. And, slowly I got enough -- $25. And I bought my pony. I'm not sure the previous owner was thrilled by the bag of coins I paid with, but I know I learned a lesson.

These days, my DD picks up all the coins she can find on the ground. It adds up. I save money for her college tuition by taking off the odd amounts from our checking account balance every pay day. Balance is $956.76? She gets $6.76. I've done that for as long as I can remember and she has a decent amount in her savings account.

You think the Salvation Army doesn't know this? People toss a few dimes or quarters into those red pots at Christmas ... and they make more at that time than the entire rest of the year.

I had a good friend, a bartender, who saved his quarters. Just his quarters. And after six months, he had enough to take a ten day vacation to Cancun.

So folks, want to save up for something? Keep the change. It's a painless way to make your bank account grow. Just ask the folks at Changepot.
=======================

Another way to save money is to WIN books!!

I have my contest going for another couple weeks. Diane Craver is giving away a book on her blog. Keri Mikulski is giving away THREE books! Melissa and Amy both give away books on their blogs regularly.

Are you giving away a book (or three)? Let me know, and I'll shout it out.

=========================

Accuweather is now predicting that the worst of the upcoming storm may go out to sea. Can you say "YAY!!"? Still, they aren't really willing to commit. I have my fingers crossed for just a light dusting. Please, please...

========================


I am a
Snapdragon


What Flower
Are You?


"Mischief is your middle name, but your first is friend. You are quite the prankster that loves to make other people laugh."

========================

11 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

You Are a Canna
"You stand up for what you believe in, even if it gets in the way of what other people think. You are proud of yourself and your accomplishments and you enjoy letting people know that."


I started picking up change and have a 5 gallon water jug I want to fill. Another good place that my son loves to look is at the laundramat. The dryers catch all sorts of goodies in the rubber seal on the door. My son usually comes up with at least a dollars worth of change. He found a 5 dollar bill once and I found a twenty. Unfortunatly DS isn't at that age where he wants to save it.

You bought a pony for $25? I did get a Shetland for free once. I think the owners got the better end of the deal.

Marianne Arkins said...

Ceri, no one else could ride my pony (also a Shetland, and NOT good ponies for kids). I could, but he was onery as heck -- and he did throw me and break my wrist.

Another good place to look for change is outside drive-up windows at the fast food places. People drop it all the time, and never bother to pick it up.

MJFredrick said...

I would be better about this if I used cash more. My dad gave my son a bucket of change and he had enough to buy an amp!

Dru said...

I have those plastic coin holders and as soon as they fill up, I roll the coins and take them to the bank. They paid for some of my expenses when I went to France.

We use to find plenty of change in the public phones.

You Are a Petunia

You are a tried and trusted friend who will be there for your friends when they need you.

But you have a tendency to be nervous about doing things that go against the norm.


That is so true.

Have a good Tuesday.

Ceri Hebert said...

Sounds like my pony, Marianne. He was such a brat and kept ducking under the fence and heading for the neighbors. My fence was built for a 16 hand horse, not a short little bratty Shetland.

Diane Craver said...

Thanks for mentioning my contest here! Have a great Tuesday.

Glad you collected the pennies and got to eat at Wendy's!

groovyoldlady said...

We had friends who moved out of state. They didn't want to haul their bucket o'change with them, so they told my kids they could have it. Funsocksgirl and Scout raked in over $200!!!! Plus some cool international coins.

OK..Gotta go have school and then sit butt in chair and WRITE. Bye!

MomJane said...

When I was at Wendys, I used to check under the window before I opened up. Sometimes there was over two dollars there. I still have a coin jar. Haven't counted it in a while. I still pick up coins from the ground, even if it is only a penny. Why leave it? It all adds up.

You Are a Daffodil
You have a sunny disposition and are normally one of the first to show up for the party. You don't need too much attention from the host once you get there as you are more than capable of making yourself seen and heard.

Hmmm. Partly. I am always early everywhere I go.

Melissa McClone said...

We have a huge jar of change that hubby uses. I use it for math lessons. I should empty out my change pocket and start adding to it. Thanks for the idea.

Brandy said...

We don't use cash often, but when we do the change is put into a neat little bank we picked up at a craft fair a few years ago, it has an old post office box door on it. *G* I point out change on the ground to the kids all the time and they pick it up.

I am Canna.

I hope you have a nice day!

Jennifer Shirk said...

You're so right!

We keep a separate piggy bank for my kiddo, too. Money found, spare change, whatever. It's crazy how much money it adds up to. :)