Saturday, February 07, 2009

Jazzed!

"Anyone can dabble, but once you've made that commitment, your blood has that particular thing in it, and it's very hard for people to stop you." — Bill Cosby

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." — Field Marshal Ferdinand Foch


Last night I started thinking--really thinking--about the story WW rejected that I wanted to lengthen into a novel. I opened up my Character Interview and started... I didn't get far with my heroine, Lynette. But my hero, Calvin? He was gabby. He talked and talked and talked. He's a HOOT. I love him. I suppose I should love all of my heroes, but I really think Cal is going to weasel his way into first place in my heart.

And then, scene ideas started pouring in. And I got both of them gainfully employed (the heroine's job really surprised me!) and decided that my wobbly kitty from yesterday deserved a spot in the story. So, Cal now has a kitty named Weeble. The ideas wouldn't stop, so I grabbed a notepad and sat in bed writing, and writing, and writing. I even got the Darkest Moment (for me, this is always the cause of The Break-Up).

The short story was entitled "Perilous Love", and I'll keep that as a working title, but I don't love it for the story itself. I'm going to do more brainstorming -- I want to get a rough outline (dear heavens... I never outline, but for some reason this story is asking me to make one). I want to make sure I have plenty of scenes (I usually only start with 15 or so... I'd like to have at least twice that) before I start. Because, when I start writing, I don't want to stop.

Yes, I'm excited.

Woot.

======================

RE: All the questions about Dakota from yesterday...

I have my fingers crossed that the probiotics are working. I kept her on the icky food and the meds for a few days, then starting introducing new, better food to her (1/3 new food to 2/3 old food). It didn't seem to upset her tummy. So, I gave her what was left of her treat ball (I LOVE THESE -- They keep her busy for hours), and that didn't seem to give her the runs (as an aside, I had an IM to Judy yesterday that read: Is it wrong to get so excited that my dog has solid poop?).

Unfortunately, I'd only purchased a small bag of the new food, and when I went to buy more, I found that it's a really hard line to find. It's Wellness, which I love and recommend to anyone who will listen, but this particular kind -- I'm using venison and brown rice--tough. So, I've opted to switch to something I can find almost anywhere: Nutro Natural choice Venison and Brown Rice. She started on it yesterday (still mixed with her old, icky food), and is tolerating it so far.

Bored yet?

Amy asked if Dakota is quieting down at all. Not really. We're just making sure we keep her as active as possible. DD takes the dog outside at least 2 times a day to go sledding for 30 mins or more. And, considering Dakota runs the trail twice for DD's once, she gets a lot of running in. BUT, on the days where she doesn't get that kind of activity? She still knows how to get into plenty of trouble. My darling dog, Bailey, didn't really start to calm down until she was three, so I'm pinning my hopes on 9/22/10.

RE: Agility Class. If you want to see some dogs who are really good at agility, Animal Planet is showing the AKC Agility Championships tonight at 8 p.m. On my TiVo, it just showed up as "dog show". I tried searching by name, but ended up browsing by channel to find it. It's so much fun to watch. I recommend it.

Hopefully, someday Dd will be that good. We have plans to invest in agility equipment for spring/summer/fall. I think it will be good for all of us -- I'm as tired as she is when we're done with class!

===========================




You Are a Calculator



No matter what someone tells you, you're likely to focus on facts and data.
You're a highly analytic person. You are only concerned with what you can know for sure.

You look at situations objectively, and you have no problem approaching problems from multiple angles.
You would make a good analyst or investment banker. You are confident enough to make tough calls and hard decisions.



AnalyticAL, yes. Any job requiring math? No...

==============

6 comments:

Dru said...

I'm so happy that you're story is coming alive for you. I can hear the excitement in your as you are telling us about it.

You Are a Red Pen

You have an eagle eye for detail, and this often means you end up finding mistakes in people's work.

You may seem quick to criticize or correct, but you think accuracy and truth is important.

You like to be involved in every project. You feel like you put the polishing touch on things.

You would make a good editor, detective, or accountant. When facts matter, you're the person to call on.


Not a bad analysis of my job.

Have a good Saturday.

Maria Zannini said...

I use the Nutro Natural too. Tank really doesn't have a problem with digestion, but a friend of mine has a little dog that does.

I suggested she try it and her little girl hasn't had any more flare ups since.

Sometimes you just have to customize to the dog. Glad you kept searching for an answer. So many people don't.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Red Pen, too. But I've never really considered calculators office supplies. I thought they were more office machines. :)

Melissa McClone said...

Congrats on the story flowing. That's so great. It's where I am right now, too, and I love when that happens.

Ceri Hebert said...

Excellent!! Glad the idea has grown into something substantial! How exciting!

groovyoldlady said...

You Are a Whiteboard

You are a dreamer, a visionary, and a straight up idea person. You are very creative.
Even if the things you think up are a bit wacky, they often are brilliant.

You are an adept problem solver. You are always tossing around dozens of ideas.
You would make a good artist, designer, or architect. You do best when work feels like play.

Yep...that's me!