Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Rediscovering the Joy of Writing

Last night, while I lay in bed just prior to dozing off I figured out my short story plot. I trashed the one I'd made up yesterday, knowing that some of it simply wouldn't work. But I was so excited about this one that I almost jumped up then and there and jotted it all down. I was terrified that I'd forget it by morning, but I was so warm and cozy (and so was the cat) that I laid there and changed the basics over and over like a new writers mantra.

It worked.

I got up bright eyed and bushy tailed and hied my behind downstairs to the 'puter and typed my little heart out. I had a blast. I loved meeting the new characters, even though it was a very short story (110 lines) and I remembered that I really do enjoy writing!

It was wonderful...

And though I know that I'll need to get back to Camilla, will be getting back to her as soon as this blog entry is done, I feel energized by having written that bit today.

And, for fun, I flipped through my "Grace Notes" book and found these two quotes, side by side:

It takes a long time to bring excellence to maturity
- Publilius Syrus

Cool... so my "old" book, Camilla, is mature but will become excellent with time.

Omit needless words. -- William Strunk, Jr.

No explanation needed on that one!

I'm off to edit, feeling refreshed and happy. What makes you excited about writing?

No comments: