Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tomatoes, Gardens and Miscellaneous Rambling

Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest. ~Douglas William Jerrold, about Australia, A Land of Plenty

Another idea for using tomatoes -- A Tomato Sandwich! I've been eating them pretty much daily for the last week. It's actually more of a BLT (using Bacos), but oh-so yummy.

Two slices of whole wheat (or your fave) bread
Cream Cheese
One tomato sliced THICK
romaine (or your fave green stuff)
Bacos or bacon
I pretend that I use the cream cheese to keep the bacos on my bread -- I spread it on both sides, dump the Bacos and press the slices of bread together to smoosh the Bacos on. Then layer the other stuff. I prefer my tomato warm (and right from the garden when possible).

Oh. Yum.

Speaking of gardens, my other two squash plants have succumbed to the Squash Borer, so no more fresh squash this season. HOWEVER, let this serve as a warning to that pesky little critter: I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW!! There will be no escaping my wrath next year.

DD asked if she could dig up some potatoes yesterday. We have twelve plants, so I told her to dig up two. Do you know how many potatoes she got???? Five. Small ones.

What the heck??

**sigh**

Maybe I should stick to cucumbers.

=============================

Judy and I challenged each other to write yesterday. I gave her a random list of ten words (and then another ten when she used up the first set) and she wrote nearly 3000 words!!! I got just over 1000 on an existing short story. We did good.

Today, though, I need to do some work on the LASR site, so don't know how much writing time I'll get. Today, we're giving away a pre-release copy of Joy Nash's Immortals book. Tomorrow is the big day... the OFFICIAL one year anniversary of LASR and we are giving away a $50 Amazon.com GC. Have YOU entered yet? The link is here.

==============================

Read any good books lately? Feel free to share.

==============================

13 comments:

anno said...

We have kind of the reverse problem here: plenty of potatoes, but no tomatoes at all. The drought hasn't helped, but I suspect the more serious culprit is our soil chemistry. Time to get it tested. Good luck with your site work today -- and congratulations on your work on your short story yesterday!

Dru said...

congrats on writing 1,000 words.

i've read a couple books lately, hard to list them, but my favorite was the dirty secret club.

sorry about your other veggies.

Ceri Hebert said...

I'm not a tomato fan at all but that recipe sounds really good.

I love doing those word challenges. Used to do them in my writing group before everyone got too busy. Good job on the word count!

I just finished reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. Good, fast read. Have to look for the next in that line, Odd Hours.

Keri Mikulski said...

Yum.. I love tomatoes.

Just finished Jennifer Weiner's Certain Girls and loved it. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I grew up on tomato sandwiches! Nowadays I eat sliced tomatoes, homemade roasted red pepper hummus in a whole wheat pita pocket. I am addicted to this lunch!

Melissa McClone said...

WTG on the writing! I love tomatoes thought not on my sandwiches!

Diane Craver said...

So funny - I did a blog post on tomatoes today. Your tomato sandwich sounds delicious!

Jen said...

Marianne - tomato sandwich - GOOD white bread, mayo, tomatoes, salt. Yours sounds great, too.

I want to read a good book - Kitchen Matches. I hear it's GOOD! ;-) Still struggling through my personal slush pile.

I just finished "The Shack." I think you might really enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying all the books I've read lately.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying all the books I've read lately.

Brandy said...

Mmmmm, love tomato sandwiches, and BLT's. *G* I have to lay off the tomato's today though. Acid Reflux is not happy. Sorry to hear about the squash.

WTG on the words!

I hope you have a good day!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes is to drizzle olive oil on them and sprinkle on some coarse sea salt or kosher salt. It's a wonderful snack.

Good books -- I'm just re-reading Joyce Carol Oates JOURNAL and it's very inspiring. And I'm reading Francine Prose's BLUE ANGEL, which is fascinating.

I read Lani Diane Rich's THE FORTUNE QUILT last week and loved it -- sat in the park and read it straight through in a single afternoon.

MJFredrick said...

That sandwich sounds SO GOOD.

I haven't finished a book since I went back to work!!!!